Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Contemporary Love

Our wedding theme today is modern/contemporary, with an added flair - a splurge vs steal board. For my polyvore, the first thing I thought of when thinking of the modern wedding, is the interesting use of color. Brides today are making color matches that have not traditionally been seen in weddings before. I looked around a lot of blog posts and say that the biggest color match I was seeing was "Tiffany blue and chocolate brown". Seeing as Tiffany's has such amaizing engagement rings, I'm so with this!

For the wedding gown, I'm seeing a lot lately the draped wedding skirt. I'm seeing it everywhere. AND I LOVE IT! I tried on a wedding gown with a draped skirt and I was sold. The splurge gown is by Anne Barge, yum-o, the steal gown by Eternity Bridal and costs over 60% less.

The ceremony on the splurge is a beautiful setting, Tuscany, hello. But the chairs and aisle are the center of this, with huge bouquets. Don't have that kind of flower budget? Your programs are beautiful, right? Add a string, you've got instant ceremony decoration! Bam!

Now here's the part that gets me. The unity candles, lovely as they are, cost $66! I'm so flabergasted! Do it cheeper with sand, costs about $3 a bag for a single color, easy to pick up at Michael's.

For the reception, you've got a good mix of high quality linens vs basic 200-count cotton. Simplify the extravagance, don't use charger plates, simpler menu cards, and decorations that say more rather than cost more. Lastly, for the cake, the splurge cake is a beautiful cake with lots of hand work, filigree, and a gold cake stand. But you know what? A simple glass cake plate does the job just as nicely!

Here's the costs: Splurge Wedding - cake $800, bouquet $120, gown $2500, unity candle $66, reception $6000, ceremony $2000. Total cost: $11,486.

Steal Wedding - cake $400, bouquet $85, gown $736, unity sand $20, reception $2000, ceremony $900. Total cost: $4,151. And all without photography, hair and makeup, or the groom's clothes for either wedding. Adds up fast, huh?

Remember this, when it comes down to your wedding. You can either spend $30,000 and live in a one bedroom apartment afterwords for 10 years, or spend $10,000 and be able to put money down on a house.

{Rebekah} Modern/Contemporary: Contemporary Love by bekahross