Thursday, December 25, 2008

Embrace the Christmas Charm

If you're having a Christmas wedding, there's two things you need to do: 1 - embrace it whole heartedly, and 2 - make it your own! Yes this may be a major holiday, but it's also your wedding day, so don't be afraid of having fun with it.

My collage I made is a mix of some of my favorite Christmas things, the first, getting to wear faux fur! Nothing more fun! I love this dress, beautiful bead work and a faux fur shawl with a broach. Any opportunity I get to wear a broach is on my top 10 list. I love these boots too - remember, if you're getting married in an area known to be cold for the occasion, for goodness sake, wear the shoes for it! :)

There's other great things you can embrace about the holiday, and that's the flowers. Poinsettias are bursting with life, and everywhere during the holidays. It's great, too, becuase most sites where you may be deciding to have your ceremony and/or reception will already be decked out for the holiday, so it saves you decoration money. Bekah likey. And carry the holiday scheme into everything. My favortite part of this collage is the table decorations- the little topiaries with candles - reminds me of the old English tradition of wearing those head wreaths with candles in them, but a much lower fire hazard.

Be aware that everyone has their own holiday traditions, especially your new in-laws, so ask your fiance what his or her traditions were growing up, and see if you can find a way to incorporate that into your wedding. For my family, our Christmas breakfast was always cinnamon rolls and hot cocoa. So I added a nice hot cocoa to my collage - its warm, kid-friendly, and easy to spike! My favorite spike: amaretto. Yum.

A neat idea I came up with, is adding a nice big tree to your reception space, and put all the wedding favors under the tree, that way everyone gets a nice little visit under the tree, and kids will love the idea of an early present.

One more thing, Christmas crackers. No not a snack, the rolls with open ends where you pull and it cracks, and inside is a paper crown, a toy, candy, jokes, etc. There are some very nice ones out there that you can put at each place setting at your reception. Check out Old English Crackers for a great variety of cracker papers and fillers.

Bottom line, if you're doing such a big event on such a big holiday, love it whole heartedly. If you try to make it as un-Christmas as you can, it's going to seem silly. So be a bit of a kid and decide how you want to represent the holiday on your special day, and be prepaired to get nothing but registry gifts for Christmas!

Happy Holidays everyone! All my best to you and yours.

{Rebekah} Christmas Wedding: Embrace the Charm by bekahross