Monday, January 26, 2009

The Best of Seattle: An Interview with Amoreena of Midnight Blossom

Tell me about Midnight Blossom

I’m a studio florist, and I do weddings, events, and also arrangements for businesses. I try to work with people, find out what their vision is or what they’re going for, and then work with how to get that with their budget. I mostly work alone, but for the occasional big project I bring in other people, but the design is all done by me. I like to do something different that people haven’t seen before. I offer custom work, sculptures or art that people look at and say, “Wow, I haven’t seen that before”. I use flowers, not a couple blossoms and a lot of greenery. The flowers are worth the money my clients put into it.

What is your philosophy or technique when doing the flowers for a wedding?

With weddings I keep up with the trends and work from there. I see what’s going on and then make my own design from there, I’m not about creating a photocopy of what’s in the magazines, I use them as a starting point for something better. When working with a couple, I like to find out what the overall emotion is that brought them to a certain flower arrangement, and work with them on how to invoke that same emotion in an arrangement that reflects them but is also within their budget.

Why do and should brides choose Midnight Blossom for their wedding?

Most often, people go to my website and see that what I have to offer is different. I’m flexible, I don’t throw out a lot of rules and contracts at brides, and being that I’m a studio, I can be more flexible than the bigger shops and companies. I can easily travel and meet people or talk in my studio. Pricing is important too – I don’t have a lot of overhead, so when a bride spends $100 on a bouquet she really feels that she is getting $100 worth of flowers. And shopping with Midnight Blossom is supporting a local business!

Do you do something or have a floral item that is uniquely yours?

I don’t have a trademark item, I try instead to create something unique for that moment. I like always making new things for my clients and surprising them. I do a lot of natural items, wood, bamboo, sand, stones, driftwood, and birch bark. When clients see something natural and relaxing, they know it’s made by me. My style is cohesively mine. I like to use other botanical elements too, like feathers or pods. I go out to the mountains and the ocean and find my inspiration there. My work is celebrating the world outside and bringing that in. I keep waste minimal – I don’t use a lot of wrapping or tissue – instead I use handmade or local containers, like handmade wood boxes from a local wood worker, the whole idea is for people to be able to give an organic gift when they buy flowers from Midnight Blossom.


What should brides know when floral shopping?

A lot of it is intuitive as you’re working with someone who’s creating something for you. you don’t have to spend $10,000 on a wedding, you can work with a budget and still have something beautiful. When walking in to a meeting with a florist, you should know 2 things – your wedding style and what you want the wedding to be. “Here’s my budget, colors, and style”. And you should be able to get something you love. As for the contract – get in writing the parameters of what your arrangements will look like. Things change in the natural world, and if roses come in looking awful, you need to have other options – not necessarily specific flowers, but the overall feeling - keep the flowers in the same family and filling that vision. You also need to like the person that you’re working with and make sure that they can help you create your vision. You should also feel confident that you can change your mind, on the color and scheme until the time the flowers need to be purchased. You may like the big feathers and jewels, but a year later say “what was I thinking?!” and you need to make sure that the contract and the person you’re working with is flexible.

What made you interested in participating with the Battle of the Betrothed?

I first heard about the Battle of the Betrothed after talking with Sarah from Avant bride. She mentioned Christi of the Healthy Bride and it sounded interesting. As I learned more about it, I really got excited and I love that I have the opportunity to do this. It’s been a lot of fun and Christi’s been a great connector with other local businesses. We all benefit from it!