Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Best of Seattle: An Interview with Kelli Morse of Kelli's Creations

Tell me about Kelli’s Creations

Kelli’s Creations does wedding and specialty cake design. I have 15 years of professional experience as a cake designer, and I have been working for myself for the past 3 years. The whole process of the cake creation and design I do all myself.

What is your philosophy in wedding cake design?

My trademark is “cakes as unique and beautiful as you are”. I like to think about the bride a lot as I am making the cake, and I aim at making the cake as perfect as she wants it. The bride and I working together come up with the idea for the cake.

Why do brides come to Kelli’s Creations for their wedding cake?

Brides come to me because my cakes stand out both in flavor and look. I make my buttercream icing from scratch, and I only use high quality ingredients in my cakes. I’ve perfected making my cakes straight and level, people often ask “is this really a cake?” There are endless design possibilities I can do, and when a bride comes to me with a picture of a cake she wants I can duplicate it exactly.

What would you like brides to know when wedding cake shopping?

Brides should do their homework and ask questions on the pricing, this is where a lot of commercial bakeries get tricky. Some places charge more for little things here and there, like piping and special flavors. Ask question on what’s included in the price. When I quote a bride, it includes absolutely everything to create her cake.

What made you interested in participating in the Battle of the Betrothed?

When Christi Masi (of the Healthy Bride) approached me, I thought it sounded so exciting, and it’s been really great to get to be a part of this.

Any last comments?

I love what I do. I look forward to going to work every day, and I love weddings. Each wedding is different and I enjoy being a part of it.