Thursday, January 8, 2009

In Love with Pachelbel

Another "bet you didn't know about me": I'm a classical clarinetist and oboist. So when I heard today's theme is classical music, dude - heaven.


The first step was deciding what to focus on specifically, as classical music spans hundreds of composers, thousands of works, and a big batch of years. But my favorite classical music piece in regards to weddings is Pachelbel's Cannon as a wedding march. Uh! If you've never heard it, here's a link to an orchestral version.


My second step, was finding the perfect venue. What better than the home of the Seattle Symphony - Benaroya Hall - the crown jewel of Seattle's classical music scene. You can easily have an incredible wedding at Benaroya, as they've had lots of experience, and offer great wedding packages. The two photos on my polyvore of Benaroya weddings have the S. Mark Taper Foundation Auditorium for the ceremony - the room with the huge organ pipes - and the grand lobby for the reception - a beautiful venue with it's sweeping ceiling and massive windows. With the exclusive caterer being Wolfgang Puck, you've got one hell of a setting.


The dress and invitation I chose because they very quickly reminded me of the treble clef. The gown is a Vera Wang, the invitations, also reminding me of parchment sheet music, by 1st Class Invitations.


For the bride's jewelry, pears strung on ribbon -the classical style, the original style, that jewelry was strung. Going back to Pachelbel, I threw in the sheet music, and what's with the wind chime? Did you know, you can get wind chimes in the key of the notes of your choice of classical music? What a great wedding favor to attendants than the wind chime in the key of Pachelbel's Cannon.


For the reception table, check out the cute music stands I found for place card holders from My Wedding Favors. For a cake topper, if you and your man are classical instrumentalists, how about this fun topper from Magic Mud. And the favor for guests? A CD of you and your partner's favorite classical music, including the processional and recessional and first dance from your wedding.


Speaking of that - for the ceremony, music by the local string and flute trio Windsong. Nice and compact group, very talented, and have a soft sound for your ceremony. For the reception, need something stronger - and if you can't afford Canadian Brass (the best brass band ever), there's a very good Seattle group, Mosaic Brass - they sound just like Canadian Brass but thousands less. I totally want to book them for my own wedding.


So if you're a classical music fan, here's some great ideas!

{Rebekah} Classical Music: In Love with Pachelbel by bekahross