Thursday, January 1, 2009

Fireworks at the Space Needle

At one point in the planning process, I told my fiance I wanted to do a New Year's Eve wedding. "Everybody's already partying anyway", I told him. And I was so right. Who all had a blast last night? I watched Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper on the CNN east coast feed count down to the ball drop, and Kathy was hysterical! I'm such a fan!


Anywho - so if I was to help a bride plan a New Year's Eve (NYE) wedding, first, I'd say, "honey, think Space Needle". What cooler of a place to get married and ring in the new year than ground zero in Seattle's biggest NYE party? And such a unique view your friends will be raving for years. So here's the idea: have the wedding on the viewing deck - yes they have an inside area so you can stay warm. You've got the city all lit up, completely surrounding you. After the kiss, as you walk down the aisle, your quests light your way with sparklers! Ever since I first held a sparkler, I wanted to have a wedding recessional through an aisle of sparklers. And it's so fun. Just imagine all the great photo op's you can have with sparklers on the top of the Space Needle!


The ceremony starts at 8 or 9 pm (depending on the length - longer ceremony, start earlier). For the reception, head down a floor (still at the top though) to the Space Needle Restaurant, where the whole restaurant rotates 360 degrees. Don't make this a sit-down, have a buffet dinner with cocktail tables - those tall tables (see polyvore) that are just tall enough to stand while eating and drinking. Put some cozy seats around the windows for your older guests.


Ok, too excited, backing up a little. The gown - something slinky and sexy, no train. I love this gown in my polyvore by Melissa Sweet's spring 2009 collection. For your bridesmaids, I found these cute cocktail length dresses made by Betsey Johnson, and, fun enough, is called a NYE dress! For the jewelry, a nice gold bangle bracelet and drop earrings, for you and your attendants. The wedding's colors? Black, white, and gold! Yum.


Speaking of yum, bottles of Dom on hand bring in the new year with a very happy bang. Don't have the dough for that? Martini and Rossi make a fab brute that will definitely do the job.


Back to the reception - the cake, a lovely confection in black and white, with gold sparklers in the middle tier (keep it simple with just 2 to 4), for your cake cutting and photo op. As it gets closer to midnight, break out the cheezy hats, yes people will wear them.


In the end, you'll have a fantastic NYE wedding and party your guests, and you, will remember forever.

{Rebekah} New Year's Eve: Fireworks at the Space Needle by bekahross