Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Slam Dunk Love

Today's wedding theme is basketball. Two things I know about basketball: the ball is orange, and guys get really sweaty playing it.


But, unlike baseball, it's not a sport that's had a romantic history in the states - like baseball. And guys get really sweaty playing it. So I wanted to use the colors and the shape of the ball itself, and not get all "let's put a basketball on everything". My first step: I created a color palette. Enjoy! I couldn't find something professional to represent the palette, so I used pillows. Unique, huh? :)


For the colors - medium and dark orange, dark brown, bronze, and creme. The bridesmaids in brown, the bride in creme-brown, the flowers in both shades of orange. The flowers? Dahlias. They have a lovely round shape that reminds me of a basketball. Also round - the orange pomanders hanging on the aisle chairs and carried as bouquets by the bridesmaids.


When I was thinking about pomanders, I realized something - historically, pomanders were scent balls used in Elizabethan times to hide the fact that no one bathed. Rich people used silver balls filled with cloves, and the not-so-rich used oranges studded with cloves. And what a neat idea to make a cloven orange with the cloves making the lines of a basketball to put a couple on the tables to add a nice scent - and makes a tasty snack.


Also historical: the cloven fruit game. It's really fun, and great for hooking up your single friends. You want the details? Email me. *wink!*


For the reception table, use the orange and creme shades as the base, and the brown and bronze as accent colors. And the favor? Gourmet candied apples made in the wedding colors! Yum!
{Rebekah} Basketball: Slam Dunk Love
{Rebekah} Basketball: Slam Dunk Love by bekahross